Hate in our Community
I have been thinking a lot lately about current events and the absolute venom I see in "public" opinion. I am having difficulty conceptualizing where this hate comes from. I don't see it manifest itself as strongly in the daily lives of my family, friends, colleagues, church congregation, or in other aspects of my social circles but it is rampant on radio talk shows, newspaper article comments, and op/ed pieces. I know from experience that my social network is compassionate, good natured, logical, and selfless. I believe most people our community are the same. Why then is there such a disconnect in the way in which I perceive people in my local community and national community and the drivel I hear in media comments?
For months I have thought the solution should be to avoid the media that frustrated me. I tried not to read the comments to online news articles, to avoid inflammatory "news" talk shows / TV programs, and to avoid commenting on political issues in social situations outside of close friends. (My wife can tell you how that goes sometimes.) I have rethought my stance and have decided that avoidance is not the solution. They keep going and I keep avoiding, pretending everything is fine. We need to have conversations. Not the talk that seems to dominate social media today, telling you their viewpoints and then defending those views tooth and nail out of what seems to be arrogance and the need to be seen as an expert, but actual conversations where viewpoints are shared, listened to and thought about. It is this type of conversation where results happen. This is how friends should talk.
So with that I am sharing with you how I feel on two topics that are important to me and I welcome your feedback if you feel like sharing. You can comment here, email, call, or stop by (especially if you live far away from me and I haven't seen you in a while). I don't mind if you disagree with me. I believe hearing other viewpoints will help make me more well rounded. (That and the desserts my wife makes).
Topic 1
Islamic Community Center and Mosque near Ground Zero
Let a center be built in the shadows of Ground Zero. Let a center be built across the street from my home. I agree with one of the developers, Sharif el-Gamal who said, "I am an American, I am a New Yorker, I don't hold my faith responsible for 9/11."
Two reasons I think this way. One, in my mind anyone who is part of a religious, ethnic, or racial minority should be supportive of the project for the reasons Sharif stated. When a member of my faith (which, by the way, is a minority and I feel is occasionally misunderstood) rapes, kills, or abuses someone I do not feel he or she represents me or my beliefs just because I belong to that same faith, ethnicity, or race. I am not guilty by association.
Two, if not there, then where? How many blocks away from Ground Zero is appropriate? If you consider 9/11 an attack on America by the religion of Islam then how does putting it on 82nd street, in Brooklyn, or even in Kansas make a difference then 2 blocks away. They are not building an embassy, they are not building a terrorist training camp, they are not building a nuclear reactor.
Topic 2
Illegal Immigration
The next time you are late for work or another appointment and you are driving your car knowing that you are going faster then the speed limit think for a second about illegal immigration. You know that if you come across a police officer there is a chance you could get a ticket but often we choose to run that risk because it may be better to get to work on time. I believe that is the attitude the majority of illegal immigrants have that brings them to the U.S. They realize that they are doing something illegal but under the circumstances they face they feel this is the better choice.
Before you think about shutting me out let me state that I do not think we should have open boarders allowing whoever wants to come to this country free access. I support immigration reforms. I do not think the vast majority of illegal aliens are violent criminals and I reject the fear tactics that some politicians and others are circulating.
Yes, there is a problem with drug and human trafficking. Yes, I recognize a lot of money is being spent on immigration issues. I also realize that there are many layers to this problem. Putting the solution solely on undocumented immigrants is short sided. The majority of illegal immigrants are not the ones buying the drugs that are being brought past the boarder by the cartels. The majority of illegal immigrants are not gang members and violent criminals. However, treating illegal immigrants like they are part of the cartels and gangs will serve to make the community even more tight lipped and protective forcing them to the cartels and gangs for support our community will not give.
Let us find compassionate, logical solutions to the problem of immigration. I really like this editorial that ran on KSL News in Salt Lake City. Click here if interested ksl.com - Editorial: Immigration-It's about us
I am interested to know what you think about these or other topics.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Big BoY- I have to agree with you on both accounts. I think as long as there is religion there will always be war. Especially the Muslim religion. I am not saying all Muslims are killers or haters. It is the same with Mormonism. As long as there is a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there will always be fringe groups practicing polygamy. There will always be fringe Muslims practicing Jihad. But that doesn't mean the majority of peaceful faithful can't have a mosque. Let us not forget the many temples that are fought to be placed. White Plains was a fight just to get that temple in. Bigots are everywhere- and as long as religion exists they will continue to be everywhere.
Illegal Immigration:
I cannot fault those who wish to have a better life. Where it gets ugly is that in border states alone this year more than 7,000 have been killed. There seems to be a direct connection with the drug trade and border crossing. The cartels are now human trafficers and can blackmail those people they have helped to help them with drugging it up in America. I agree that a logical, systematic solution needs to be addressed. I cannot avoid the fact that anyone who has crossed the boarder has broken the law. This is a truth and being an illegal foreign national is not paramount to driving over the speed limit. I think that is an over simplification (sorry). But let us look at the person as a whole. What were they doing here as an illegal? Where they dealing drugs? Then throw them in jail, extradite, or better yet turn them to provide good intel on the drug distribution channels. Yet, if they came here and simply worked, sent money back to a family, are being threatened by the cartels but are simply trying to find a better means of making a life- let us be compassionate then. Let us find a solution.
The war on drugs will be a forever war as well. If America really wants to change illegal imigration I think we should stop taking drugs. Fighting this would get rid of the really bad illegals. It amazes me how much dope has proliferated our universities even in straight laced Utah. But we will blame Mexico cartels when internally it is the desire for these drugs that creates the demand. America's drug use is its own worst enemey.
I don't claim to have the answers but know that hate is not one of them. Fear is contagious. It also is cloaked as preparedness rather than fear but it truly is simply fear.
It was refreshing to hear your comments. And it is because of these comments that I know America will be just fine. Because you and me and millions of others feel the same way. There is comfort in that...others may say there is complacency in it. I am no fool in thinking everyone is good. I know there are are people out there that can be characterized as a "dark man, with a dark purposes" to quote Aladin. I know that we are at war with Drugs, Terrorists- that Russia, China and thousands of other countries have spies in the good 'ol USA.
So how do people like you and I move forward- we live our lives good, strong and with purpose. When the threats like 9/11 come men and women will step up to fight but until then we don't panic and fall for the all the way gun ho or nothing, or love it or leave it bit. We are citizens that stand for a purpose and much of that is FREEDOM which it seems to me so many are wanting to take away from others by simply characterizing them as enemies. And that distracts us from our true objectives and enemies.
Rational none reactionary thought that seeks to edify and avoids cheap degredation of the oppossing views. What a concept.
So the illegal immagration topic has been present in my life for at least the the past 15 years. I grew up in CA and I remember prop 15 which stated that illegal aliens weren't going to be allowed int he school system. It passes overwhelmingly in CA I think more as a sign of fiscal frustration in the school system, but certainly was also a clear message that in CA we were seeing far too many aliens than should be in the state. It is actually a large financial burden on the tax payers from education (admittedly small amount), to supporting prisons filled with Mexican citizens, to health care costs of running ER's where it is illegal to not treat anyone who reaches your door without providing a sutable substitute for care. A few examples but costing millions each year to the tax payers. Yeah, I think this is more of an economic crisis than anything else, but we are suppossed to have secure boards and these people who cross with the vast majority seeking the true American dream, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, clearly show that even mild well intentioned people seem to be able to come in droves. It just makes one feel a little less secure. So then what is to be done about illegal migration. It needs to be done in an orderly fashion and in acordance to law. And what of the people who are here against federal and some state law. Condone them? What does this say to future potential perpetrators? Incarserate them? Realistically this is a financial burden America will not bear. Then what? Deportation? Again huge costs. But then again to qoute Dummbledor "the time will come when we will have to choose what is right, and what is easy". (yeah I just quoted harry potter) The answer as they say most likely lies in the middle.
Gotta go read to my kids. I got stuff to do.
As far as the mosque goes, I heard someone say that after conquering an enemy the moslim will build a monument of some form to commenorate their victory on the site. If this is true I can understand reservations to having a mosque on ground zero. But as this is America and freedom of religion is designed to procted this very kind of thing, let them build according to the laws that govern that land and let the American experiment succeed as we all learn to respect one another in peace.
Gotta go read.
Post a Comment