Thursday, September 18, 2008

Not A Fan Part 2

Ok, this rant is not about the Jonas Brothers. It is about sports, college football to be exact. Here is a copy of the response I sent to the writer of the article. This is the first time I have ever done something like this.

Here is the article
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_10496157

Here is my respone:

In writing your piece on why the SEC is so much more difficult than the MWC you
missed the story entirely. When you compare the schedules of both conferences will see that any trends about making the schedule easier actually come from conferences like the SEC. The SEC does a great job of promoting itself from perception. By getting so many teams into the top 25 by perception they can have a strong strength of schedule just by playing their conference games. To really see what is going on you have to look at the part of the schedules that schools are in control of; their out of conference games. I will stick to the comparison between the SEC and the MWC you made in your article and compare the non conference schedules of the two teams.

Every team in the SEC and the MWC will have 4 non conference
games this year. Consider the following:
• The SEC will play 15 non conference BCS opponents out of 48 non conference
games. The MWC will play 14 non conference BCS opponents out of only 36
non conference games.
• Of their 48 non conference games the SEC will only play 13 on the road. That is
27% of its non conference games. The MWC will play 15 of their 36 non
conference games away or 41%.
• Arkansas, Mississippi St., and Vanderbilt are the only SEC teams that will play 2
non conference games on the road. Alabama and LSU will not play any games in
another team’s home stadium during non conference play this year. Florida and
South Carolina will not leave their home state for their one non conference road
game. UNLV, CSU, and Wyoming are the only MWC teams that will play one
road game against a non conference foe. The other 6 will all play 2 away games.
• So far this year the SEC is only 3-3 in non conference road games on 0-2 in road
games against other BCS opponents. On the other hand the MWC is 5-3 in non
conference games away from including a 3-1 mark on BCS teams’ home fields.
• The SEC is 3-2 in their games against BCS schools from other conferences so far
while the MWC is 6-3.
• When scheduling other BCS conferences the SEC does not play any Big 10 teams,
one Big 12 team, and 2 Pac-10 teams. They will play 12 schools from the Big
East and the ACC which are currently ranked lower than the MWC in most
conference power polls. The MWC plays the majority of their games, 7, against
the Pac-10, 4 against the Big-12, and one each against the Big-10, the SEC, and
Notre Dame. The MWC does not have games scheduled against the Big East or
ACC.
• LSU will not play a non conference BCS opponent or a non conference game on the road.

The fact is we don’t know how good the SEC actually is because they don’t play enough
games out of conference against quality opponents to really know how good they are.
The fact is that teams schedule easy not just for the chane at BCS Bowls but to have 6 wins to be bowl eligible. With so many bowls you may also get a little more change in your pocket for your conference and have extra practice days if you are bowl eligible. The SEC fills all of their bowl agreements by scheduling easy and the MWC has learned to do the same.

3 comments:

Jamon Clark said...

You struck a nerve....
According to my limited sports history background....The big East rose to B-ball super power becasue of the TV agreement at the time. Kids form LA were recruited. Then other conferences caught on.
I think the SEC TV agreement is a selling point to recruits. ABC is in bed with the SEC, and therefore will tout it, and thus making it "SOOOOO" tough. Then the SEC looks good, gets exposure, gets talent etc.

The MWC failed in the TV deal (the selling point in the conference is now gone). Not as good recruits to those colleges in MWC in general.

BYU has no problem getting TE, QB's, OL, and perhaps LB...but when are we going to get a CB that can stop a passing game. Probably not, because we are not a CB school, good CB schools are likly Pitt etc. LB go to Penn State.
Do I think BYU is the # 1 team in the nation, no. Will I ever be proven wrong? No. I am hoping Penn State wins out. I want to see a PSU vs. BYU game. That would be awesome.
Here is what I think:
BYU should go Independent Conference, gets its own TV deal, playing navy and NOtre Dame, and Army would be easy to schedule. The only draw back to being indie is that no one wants to come to BYU to play (altitude). maybe the Pac ten wants to expand (Pac 10 west and East? Include Fresno and Hawaii in the invite.
Now onto another rant to your rant...how can anyone measure a recruit? How come ND recruits SOOOOOOOOOOOOO well but stinks? I think ND stinks at recruiting because I think they are now a glorified pseudo-IVY school (no more 700ish SAT scores for players).
Final thought;
If College football were a country, what type of government would it be? An Oligarchy? Despot? the only way to suceed is for people to like you. Is there a fashion-opoly? Or as Derek Zoolander would say "Really really really good looking."
I know everyone complains about the playoff on schooling, but now we can never know if Utah would have been # 1 in 2004 (?), or Boise State and do not make me go back to 1984?
All conferences should get a champion with 4 lets invite them becasue we like them schools from other conferences. Have C-USe and MWC duke it out and give ABC/SEC a bye and then play. What else is going on in December?
Jamon

Jenny said...

Um....I thought I was somewhere else...I may have the wrong number sorry.....I think I am for sure lost...all those letters...I am sure Rik would be embarrassed that I can't follow such a well written article....

Hope you 2 are doind great! Give the little lady a hug from Björn please

Darek and Amberli said...

You've done your homework Bulsie, great arguments. Did the Trib author write you back? I'm tired of hearing how omnipotent the SEC is too. Urban, especially, can kiss my butt.