Saturday, July 05, 2008

What Cancer Cannot Do

The outpatient infusion room at the Huntsman Cancer Center is an interesting place. It is basically a room filled with recliner chairs where people sit around having their treatment done together. There are patients at all different stages, with all different types of cancer, and receiving different types of chemo yet there is a commonality between the patients and the friends and family of patients. There is an understanding and bond that is immediately made. Smiles and kind words are often shared between all those in the room. There is a woman who has had treatment everytime I have been there. I don't know her name and she doesn't know mine. I know she is a kind, outgoing woman deteremined to beat her breast cancer. She knows I have lymphoma and calls me the cookie guy because I have had cookies with me for everyone of our treatments. She gave Court and I a card with a poem on it titled "What Cancer Cannot Do" and Court and I gave her some cookies of course. Here is poem:

What Cancer Cannot Do
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith
It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal Eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit
- Author Unknown

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Thanks for sharing that poem. We love you guys! See you in a few weeks.

Jenny said...

We love you you hairless beast! Don't forget that poem! Let us know if we can do anything for you and Courtney.

Darren, Tisha, Tanner & Tennyson said...

Yeah, the long missed post. It was good talking to you and I'm glad you're doing well that you're a good poster child (for a worthy cause this time!!!) Keep fighting hard and give Courtney a big hug for us! D

Jamon Clark said...

When bored, check out Maxwell's Bio by Hafen , he was treated at the Huntsman Center and hung out with everyone in the treatment room. It is my favorite LDS Biography I have ever read